Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Something Scary #2: Saying Hello to Strangers

What I'm Afraid Of:
When I was a teenager I was horribly embarrassed to be around my mother when she would start talking to strangers in line at the super market, or on the street, or at the coffee shop, in short: everywhere. These days I really admire my mom's ability to strike up a conversation, and wish that I could do it too. There's something about talking to strangers that I find absolutely terrifying. Possible reasons:
  1. I was told never to talk to strangers as a child.
  2. The stranger might ignore me.
  3. The stranger might reject me.
  4. The stranger might think I'm stupid.
  5. The stranger and I may having nothing to talk about.
  6. The stranger may never shut up once they get started.
  7. The stranger will think I'm rude.
  8. The stranger may feel physically threatened by me trying to initiate conversation and scream at the top of their lungs.
  9. I might remind the stranger of a buddy from 'Nam, they'll enter into a PTSD episode and stab me to death while screaming "Why Johnny, why?!"

Clearly, some of my fears are more rational than others. But some variation on at least one of them is what prevents me from saying hello.

What I Did That Scared Me:
On my walk home from work today, I committed to saying hello to everyone that I passed. It went pretty well. "Hello" became "Howdy" which became "How's it going" which led to "Did you just say 'Friday Night Blues'? No? Oh, sorry, that's the name of a dance event I go to."

However, there were some people I didn't say hello to, namely anyone who wasn't looking in my direction when I was passing (Reasons: #7, #8). So, not a smashing success, but more often than not I felt the fear but acted anyway.

Something Scary #1 was: Asking a Girl Out to Coffee

No comments: